Friday, March 20, 2015

owl wall hangings

You've probably noticed if you've been visiting this blog for awhile that I have been in a crochet slump this year, I have only crocheted a few times. Last week though, I had a real urge to just crochet something. A couple years ago, I crocheted an over-sized owl wall hanging that I just loved! After crocheting it, I really wanted to have a smaller one as well but never got around to making it. I decided that a small owl wall hanging would be a perfect quick project to satisfy my urge.

macrame style owl

I used a size 3.75mm hook and some left over yarn from a pair of socks I knit last year, it's Spun Right Round in Graffiti. It's a super busy yarn, so you can't really see all the stitch definition but I still think it looks great. The eyes don't photograph very well, they don't really look right but in real life they look perfect. For the sticks, I trimmed down a couple of bamboo skewers. The finished size of the owl, including the fringe is 7.5 inches. Seriously cute!

over sized & small owl wall hangings

There's quite the size difference between my first and second owl, I love it. My first owl's fringe is a lot more frayed than it was when I first made it. Our cat used to love jumping at it as a kitten, that thrill has worn off thankfully now though, he just stands up and reaches it easily, less fun.

The pattern I used can be found here on ravelry.

P.S. Happy first day of Spring!