Monday, August 27, 2012

lovebirds for 30 years

lovebirds for 30 years

My parents celebrated their 30th wedding anniversary earlier this month and I really wanted to make them a gift. I made this lovebirds cake topper (that didn't actually make it onto the cake!) for them.

The birds were made using a free pattern from LionBrand, found here. The heart is from Planet June, I embroidered (not too well) '30' on one side and then stuffed the heart.

The top hat I made up as I went, I attempted to embroider a maple leaf onto it since my dad's favorite hockey team is the Toronto Maple Leafs. It doesn't look perfect but I'm still really happy with how it turned out, though it does look better from further away!

For the legs of the birds, I used 18 gauge floral stem wire. This part actually went faster than I expected, it was pretty easy to bend the wire into little bird feet (not so easy on my hands though!) They can even stand on their own but I wanted it to all go together, so I glued them to a piece of light weight wood I bought at Michaels.

I am thrilled with how the cake topper turned out, it's exactly what I envisioned when I started! I wish every project went that way!

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 2 year anniversary. Thank you for the generous giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is such a sweet cake topper! congrats to your parents :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore them! (: I love the little paws, it is so so cute (: I hope you all had a fantastic time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really cute! : ) Nice memory to have from the celebration! : ) I love your blog! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so cute! I wish I had made something like this for our wedding. It would have fit our theme perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! (My parents' 30th anniversary is in the beginning of October!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to your parents! Wishing them many more years together ahead! God bless!
    And your gift was just awesome! What else could be better than a hand made gift form a crafty person like you :))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations..:)) And happy happy new 30 years for wedding anniversary..
    Warm wishes to your parents..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats to your parents, what a great idea, the love birds turned out perfectly.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  10. How very sweet! Happy Anniversary to your dear parents. I will celebrate 29 years in December with my hubby :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precioso y muy dulce!!
    Feliz aniversario para tus papás!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dad has great taste in hockey teams, and your Maple Leaf does us proud! Wishing all the best to your parents! Now if you could do something about Ballard's curse. . . ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!! I am having my first wedding anniversary and would love to do this as my cake topper. I will place on my blog and link back to you if you wouldn't mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Słodkie ptaszki. Fiu, fiu.....:)

    ReplyDelete